How vitamin E helps your hair?
What is vitamin E?
Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin. The chemical term for vitamin E is ‘Alpha-Tocopherol’. It acts as a powerful antioxidant protecting cell membranes from the damaging effects of free radicals present in the environment.
Technically, a free radical is an unpaired atom floating in the atmosphere looking for an electron to stabilize itself. It absorbs electrons from molecules through the process of oxidation. When this free radical touches the cell, the cell dies immediately. Sources of free radicals are sun, pollution, cigarette smoke, pesticides, and chemicals in the food, physical and mental stress. Many of these are beyond our control and hence prevention becomes necessary. Antioxidants can limit the radicals’ path of destruction and hence are even more important.
Benefits of vitamin E
Vitamin E can be consumed in the form of foods and capsules and can be applied in the form of oil. Here are some of the benefits that vitamin E offers:
- Heals parched and dehydrated skin.
- Used for treatment of a wide spectrum of heart and blood-related problems like blockage of arteries, high BP, and hardened arteries.
- Treats diabetes and diabetes-related complications.
- Protects against LDL cholesterol oxidation.
- Enhances immunity.
Vitamin E capsules
Vitamin E benefits for Hair
- Vitamin E acts as a hair stimulant. If due to any reason our scalp becomes dry, the sebaceous gland starts producing the oil in excess which makes the scalp more oily than necessary. This excess oil clogs hair follicles and causes itching, dandruff, and hair fall. Vitamin E provides moisture and soothes the oil glands. This ensures the scalp is revived and is healthy again, which helps hair grow healthy and strong.
- It also helps with hair growth due to its antioxidant properties. Antioxidants improve blood circulation in the scalp and in the body. This conditions hair strands from root to shaft. It also helps repair dry and damaged hair follicles.
- Vitamin E prevents premature greying of hair. Grey hair is a byproduct of decaying hair tissues. Antioxidants in vitamin E prevent tissue disintegration and reduce the chances of premature greying.
- It also helps mend split ends. Deep oil conditioning massages help repair hair cuticles and mend split ends. Take equal amounts of olive oil, coconut oil, vitamin E oil, or any other oil and mix them together. Use this with a massage with hot oil to nourish the scalp. Gently rub it into split ends to prevent further splits.
Happy people are beautiful. Portrait of attractive young caucasian brunette waving head and smiling broadly, being satisfied with shampoo that straighten hair strands, standing over gray background.
Best Ways to have Vitamin E
- To apply vitamin E to hair, break one or two capsules of vitamin E in warm water or olive oil, or coconut oil and massage the mixture into the scalp and hair and let it rest for an hour. For best results, rinse with warm water.
- Supplements: The upper limit for adults is 1000 mg/day for supplements of either natural or synthetic vitamin E. This is equal to 1,500 IU/day for natural vitamin E supplements and 1,100 IU/day for synthetic vitamin E supplements.
The RDA for vitamin E for males and females ages 14 years and older is 15 mg daily (or 22 international units, IU), including women who are pregnant, Lactating women need slightly more at 19 mg (28 IU) daily.
Vitamin E offers many benefits to our bodies and is especially required for the health of skin and hair. Vitamin E supplements are great for hair, and if you are looking to buy a supplement, GetSupp is a trusted place for high-quality supplements from top brands across India. To find the best supplement suited for you, check out GetSupp.